Wisdom Begun

Are you Teachable?

Are you Teachable?

December 9, 2009 by Kelly
Filed under Godliness

Photobucket

I asked  ”Where are all of the older women?” My reference to Titus 2 and the command given to women who are wiser and have been there, done that was a plea. Today is different. I want to address an issue with us younger women today. And this may be one reason why the older women are so hesitant to teach us.

Unteachable spirits. Yes, you heard me right. Some of us just do not want to be given wisdom.

I had a friend once who was always complaining how the older women at her church kept “telling [her] what to do.” When I explored a little bit more it turned out that these women were providing advice when she mentioned problems with her children, homeschooling, marriage, etc. Giving from their experience and years they were giving her the gift of wisdom. She just did not want to hear it because she had an unteachable spirit; a heart that rebelled against honest, loving wisdom.

Just what is a teachable spirit? Proverbs 1:5 says

“A wise man will hear and increase learning, and a man of understanding will attain wise counsel. . . “

Further down the passage, at Proverbs 1:7b:

“. . .but fools despise wisdom and instruction.”

A teachable person is someone who seeks out “wise counsel” and literally opens their heart to receive instruction. While there are many wise younger people, you just cannot exchange that for the experience and wisdom of those who are older. Our society curses and mocks aging. It is seen as a terrible thing, something to be stopped. (Just look at all of the anti-aging products on the market!) Yet the Bible views growing older differently:

“The silver-haired head is a crown of glory. . .” -Proverbs 16:31a

[quote]

If you are a young mother (or a not so young mother!) and you need guidance, I implore you to learn from the older women at your church. Walk straight up to them and ask them questions. Do not wait for them to come to you. Pray and ask God to provide instruction from the older women you know and at your church. Ask Him to open your heart and give you a teachable spirit.

I have had the blessing of Titus 2 women in my life. I had two wonderful, godly women I learned from at my last church. My mother has also given me wisdom when I have needed it. These women have blessed my life in an amazing way and I have -I hope!- matured wonderfully because of their instruction. It is not easy admitting that you just do not know and sharing with someone else your inexperience. But you know what? It’s okay.

Just as you want your little ones to open their ears and listen to your instruction you should open your heart and learn as well. The beauty of this life is that we never lose the opportunity to learn new things, to grow and gain new branches. We do not have to remain stagnant and mired in our own ineptitude. God provided a way for us to go this journey leaning on the wisdom of those who have gone before.

I do not know about you but I find this a wonderfully rich blessing. Don’t throw it aside. Count it a gift and grow.

PS I know the above picture are the hands of someone elderly. Just keep in mind that there may be a woman who is only a few years older than you that may be wiser and have more experience that you.

Photo credit: juliaf

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

Post to Twitter

• Share/Bookmark

Comments

11 Comments on “Are you Teachable?”

1. Valerie on Wed, 9th Dec 2009 9:20 am

What a great post and so true! Thanks for the reminder, we all need one of those now and then.

[Reply]

Kelly Reply:

Yes, I think I was speaking to myself more than anyone else, Valerie. :-) I have to remind myself of this daily.

[Reply]

2. Dawn on Wed, 9th Dec 2009 2:04 pm

This was an exceptional post! Very well said. I’ve always like your blog, but it is getting better and better.

I also wanted to let you know that the Wanchai Ferry package arrived today. I’ve had a rough week, and it was like an early Christmas present. Brightened my day… providential timing! :)

[Reply]

Kelly Reply:

You have made me very happy by that sweet comment, Dawn!

I am so very sorry about your rough week. :-( But isn’t it amazing how God uses even the littlest things to brighten our days? Maybe you can use the Wanchai Ferry food for a date night at home with hubby. :-)

[Reply]

3. Wendy @ Faith’s Firm Foundation on Wed, 9th Dec 2009 8:46 pm

Kelly, I totally agree with Dawn that your posts are getting better and better! Maybe, as an “older” woman, I’m just so glad to hear a younger woman like you being so wise! But, I know how hard it was to listen to older women when I was younger–sometimes older women don’t say things with the right attitude, or tone, even though they may be right: because they’re not perfect. Perhaps the Lord meant Titus 2 relationships to “grow” both the older and the younger in Christlikeness–I’m sure He did.
    Thanks so much for having such a “teachable spirit”–you are a terrific example in your blog and comments of this very thing you’re talking about, which is a very Godly characteristic.
    Blessings, Kelly!
    Wendy

[Reply]

4. Muthering Heights on Wed, 9th Dec 2009 9:31 pm

I think that many mothers of young children become hardened against good council, as it seems that there is also so much undesirable advice coming at us whether we want it or not, LOL!

This is a great reminder to keep our hearts open to God’s nudging, provided through wise women!

[Reply]

Kelly Reply:

This is true. I have not generally had this experience but some older women make it their business to guilt a young mother as much as possible. I think in that case it is best to have the “in one ear, out the other” attitude.

Perhaps forming a relationship with one or two women you trust to be a spiritual mother is the best way to go?

[Reply]

5. Dani on Thu, 10th Dec 2009 10:06 am

Awesome post Kelly! I have learned so much from the women in my church… I think of two in particular – one is actually a few years younger but years ahead in parenting!!! I love the Titus 2 mentality… through it I’ve received advice on homemaking, discipline, homeschooling, etc. I learned to enjoy cooking more from watching the women at church… I really try to have an open heart especially when it comes to advice regarding my children.

[Reply]

6. Cynthia on Thu, 10th Dec 2009 9:22 pm

Great reminder. Thanks, Kelly.

[Reply]

7. Myra on Mon, 14th Dec 2009 5:51 pm

This is a fabulous post! A great reminder. I think that it’s so easy to “rebel” mentally and sometimes we taking advice the wrong way. It is grace that enables us to take teaching graciously and humbly.

[Reply]

8. Ruth Adams on Fri, 18th Dec 2009 2:35 pm

Hi Kelly!
    I enjoyed this post. It reminded me of a series Nancy Leigh DeMoss did on Revive Our Hearts. It was a series on the Titus 2 woman; she addressed that issue of the younger women being teachable. Your new blog looks fabulous!

[Reply]

Tell us what you’re thinking…
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!