Wisdom Begun

Where are The Older Women?

Where are The Older Women?

November 10, 2009 by Kelly
Filed under Godliness

Photobucket

“the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things— that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed.” -Titus 2:3-5

Mothers who have traveled the journey of parenthood from babe to adult. Older mothers enjoying the company of grandchildren. Mothers who have cooked, sewn, managed a household, been married, home educated, danced in flowers with their children, kissed skinned knees, helped their husbands, rocked sleeping babes, nursed and nourished their infants, mopped, cleaned bathrooms, made their husband dinner, and prayed for their family.

Where are you?

Have you left us who are new to this utter giving up of self? Are we to struggle to do what we are called to do without guidance? Do you laugh and say “pay back” when our children display our own sinful attitudes from childhood and then walk away?

We need you.

As younger mothers struggling to pursue God’s calling for us it leads to an overwhelming feeling that nothing else can compare to. We are tired. We struggle with attitudes and we lose hope. Our lives are filled with physically exhausting activities and throwing in the towel just isn’t an option.

Help us.

If you see us at church stop us and ask us how we are doing. Guide us gently, in love, and encourage us as the above passage asks you to. We don’t want to lose our way but it is so hard to stay on the straight and narrow path when all of life is tempting us to take on the world. Remind us to put away the world and to focus on our little kingdoms: our husband, our children, and our homes.

Don’t be afraid.

Unsolicited advice has been given a bad rap. We get that. But sometimes we are afraid to speak up. We need your wisdom to flow into our listening ears. We desire to know what worked for you and why. We are on a crash course of parenting that no training during childhood could have prepared us for. Learning by doing is how we operate.

Don’t give up.

Some of us young mommies may seem to bristle when you offer your words of wisdom. We are not all like that. I promise. Some of us do have teachable hearts that are willing and waiting to hear what you have to say. We want to learn from you. Yours hugs and coffee time teaching moments keep us going and let us know that there is a reason for why we do what we do.

We’re waiting.

Photo credit: nkzs

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

Post to Twitter

• Share/Bookmark

Comments

10 Comments on “Where are The Older Women?”

1. Stephanie on Tue, 10th Nov 2009 2:13 pm

Yes! We need you!

[Reply]

2. Sara@My Sippy Cup Runneth Over on Wed, 11th Nov 2009 7:43 am

This is so true.

There is wisdom in “Seasoned” Christian Women and, us Young Mommas (or at least me), yearn for a teaching that reassures me of God’s Grace and the fact that this is His blessing for me.

We CAN be taught by older women and by the our babies themselves.

[Reply]

3. uberVU – social comments on Wed, 11th Nov 2009 12:12 pm

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by WisdomBegun: Where are the older women Titus 2 speaks of? http://bit.ly/4ljKVs…

4. Katherine on Wed, 11th Nov 2009 12:21 pm

I can relate to this post. I am at midlife home educating triplet boys in a Christian home with a husband who travels alot and have support info to share, just trying to figure out how to connect with younger moms. Locally I offer regular get togethers and activities as a time for moms to share, but would also like to share my experiences, good bad, and ugly, with those I meet online who are “looking” for that seasoned advice. What type of connections online do you find helpful – blogs, twitter, facebook, yahoo groups etc. Some seem rather impersonal but I like to find creative ways for moms to connect so they don’t feel alone. Looking forward to your replies.

Katherine
    joyinthejourneyx3@yahoo.com

[Reply]

5. Gail on Wed, 11th Nov 2009 1:44 pm

Thanks for the reminder. I have someone waiting for a phone call from me. :)

[Reply]

6. Kris @ Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers on Wed, 11th Nov 2009 2:15 pm

Great reminder! And it goes a couple of ways — for a lot of homeschool moms, just starting out, I’m an older woman, who needs to be willing to mentor a younger mom. And, as a mom with all my children still at home, I could use an older mom, whose children are grown and gone, to mentor me.

Since I can only be responsible for me, as I’m always telling my kids, I need to be on the lookout for those young moms that I could encourage. Maybe God will bless my efforts by sending *me* a mentor. ;-)

[Reply]

7. Kristen H on Wed, 11th Nov 2009 3:09 pm

Excellent reminder. I am blessed to have a wonderful church with older women that I go to frequently for help. I wish I’d been at this church longer. (only 4 years)

[Reply]

8. Kim Buesing on Wed, 11th Nov 2009 11:06 pm

I am a 54 yr old mother of 2 adult sons & 2 elementary children. The younger two are being homeschooled. I would like to mentor young mothers, but I wonder if they would be willing to receive advice. People do comment on how well behaved my younger ones are. Thank you for encouraging me to step out! Is there anyone who has a question?

[Reply]

9. Wendy on Sat, 14th Nov 2009 12:26 pm

Kelly, this was an excellent post. As you know, I, an “older” mom, by virtue of the fact that I have 2 grown children, 23 and 20, having Homeschooled them all their days, am trying to be available to be that Titus 2 woman for other women. I have been praying that God would show me better how to connect with those who need that encouragement, and I always pray that He would show me what to say on my blog. To you and all of you who might read this, I am available and want to be there for you. What can I encourage you in, and what is on your heart? Let me know how better I can be there–I will continue to be posting what other Godly women shared with me through the years, and what I have learned from walking with the Lord, and 31 years of marriage and raising my children. I know that when I was younger, I asked the same question: “Where are the older women??” So, I really want to be there for others, though I now know one reason that they didn’t seem to be there–It is very humbling and we know that we are imperfect and made so many mistakes and still do every day. But it is a command to us, so by God’s grace, I will try to help and teach as He allows. Kelly, I’m praying for you–you have a lot on your plate. Ladies, Let me know how I can help.
    Wendy
    www.faithfultojesus.blogspot.com

[Reply]

10. e-Mom on Fri, 5th Feb 2010 11:50 pm

Thanks for this post! Come visit me at Chrysalis. I’m one of those older women blogging up a storm for the sake of younger Moms.

Hugs, e-Mom

[Reply]

Tell us what you’re thinking…
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!